Best Wood Pellets for Smoking Turkey
Turkey is a delicious bird with juicy flesh. It especially looks attractive when served as a whole without cutting into small pieces. In some cultures, turkey has become so popular that it is basically synonymous with festivals and celebrations. The dining table tends to look incomplete if there is no turkey on it.
How to Cook Turkey
Smoking on wood is one of the best ways to cook your turkey, it takes about 6 to 7 hours. The glow of the burning wood and the subsequent aroma of sizzling turkey is just wonderful. The best wood pellet for smoking turkey gives it a mouth-watering flavor.
Cooking turkey using wood is environment-friendly, time-saving, and completely organic. It is perfect for your health, as you will not have to worry about harmful chemicals or pesticides getting mixed with your smoked turkey. The tender flesh of the turkey absorbs the smoke and fragrance of the wood instantly, making it more tasty and exciting.
The Best Type of Wood
To achieve great taste, the type of wood used to smoke the turkey is really important. Even if you are an intermediate cook, wood pellets from fruit trees simply enhance the deliciousness of your turkey. Never use wood from evergreen trees to smoke your turkey. Wood from evergreen trees like eucalyptus, deodar, fir, pine, redwood, and spruce have resinous extracts that can spoil the taste of your turkey.
Never use chemically-treated, painted, polished, rotten, or fungus-covered woods for smoking your turkey because they let out poisonous smoke, which is harmful to your health and environment. Only fruitwoods are ideal for smoking turkey.
- Cherry wood: Cherry is one of the best woods for smoking turkey. It has many similarities with applewood; both are light woods and burn slowly. It turns the color of your turkey into an attractive dark brown.
- Hickory wood: Hickory is also great for smoking turkey. Its flavor is overpowering, so be careful while using it, or you risk your turkey turning bitter.
- Maple wood: Maple is also good for smoking turkey as it produces less smoke, which is ideal for your health, that of your family and friends, and the environment. When combined with heavy timbers, maple results in great taste and flavor in the turkey.
- Applewood: This is slow-burning wood. It requires lots of patience, and the fruit of your patience will be the heavenly taste of the turkey.
- Post oak wood: This is a medium wood, not too light and slow-burning like applewood.
According to the BBQ wood experts, ranging from backyard grillers to competitive pitmasters to professional restaurant chefs, Traeger Grills is the best product for smoking turkey. It is the best-seller on Amazon and carries five-star customer reviews.
There are numerous types of wood you can use to smoke a turkey. However, the woods listed above are the best wood pellets for smoking turkey. Each one has its own unique and attractive flavor, which will enhance the taste of your turkey. All the products add flavor, are easy to use, and provide great value for your money.